Trying to get LDAP to function under RedHat 5.0.

I have installed the ldap rpm 3.3-4. I've edited the slapd.conf, created
a test ldbm from a ldif file. Now when I use ldapsearch to test it
(/usr/bin/ldapsearch -v 'objectclass=*') I get the following:
    ldap_open(localhost, 389)
    filter pattern: objectclass=*
    returning: ALL
    filter is: (objectclass=*)
    ldap_search : DSA is unwilling to perform
    0 matches
I can monitor slapd with /usr/bin/ldapsearch -vs base -b cn=monitor
'objectclass=*' this returns all the info about versio, threads,
connection, etc.
Can anyone shed some light on what could be going on?
TIA
Jayme Frye
Sys Admin
Epsen Hillmer Graphicxs Co.