Re: [ldap] OpenLDAP 1.0 and Make-common

At 04:46 PM 8/27/98 +0200, Michael Stroeder wrote:
>In the file Make-common all variables are followed by a question
>mark, e.g.:
>
>LDAP_PREFIX?= /usr/local/ldap
>LDAP_INSTROOT?= $(LDAP_PREFIX)
>
>I don't understand this. What's the question mark for?

FOO?= bar
	if FOO is not set, set it to bar

This allows settings in the build/platform/*/Make-platform
to take precedence over those in Make-common.  To modifiy
a setting you can:

1) modify the build/platform/*/Make-platform, or
	(let us know if your platform requires a special setting)
2) override the setting (remove the questio mark) in Make-common
	(suitable for site-specific settings, feature selection)

This approach allows more platform dependent variables to
be localized.  It is an interim solution.  We're working
on an autoconf-based build environment.

Kurt