Re: lmdb: is read operation permitted inside the write transaction?

Timur Kristóf wrote:
On Mon, 2015-05-18 at 23:03 +0200, Hallvard Breien Furuseth wrote:
On 12/05/15 19:36, Howard Chu wrote:
Dmytro Milinevskyy wrote:
Basically I need to have an opportunity to call mdb_get while in
write
transaction.
The sequence is smth like:
   - txn = mdb_txn_begin(flags=0)
   for i in 0..x:
     - v = mdb_get(txn, i)
     - mdb_put(txn, x+i, v)
     - mdb_put(txn, i, v+1)
   - mdb_txn_commit(txn)

Will it be always valid data?

Yes.

...No.  I expect he means v = the MDB_val returned by mdb_get().
mdb_put() can modify the data it points at.

Since he's using "v+1" in his example I assumed he's making a local copy of the returned values. Anyway, the plain answer to the question in the Subject is Yes.

See the MDB_val documentation in ldmb.h:
   * Values returned from the database are valid only until a
subsequent
   * update operation, or the end of the transaction. Do not modify or
   * free them, they commonly point into the database itself.

What exactly does a subsequent update operation mean? Overwriting the
value of the same key,

If we meant "same key" we would have said so.

or any mdb_put or mdb_cursor_put operation at
all, regardless of which key they touch?