Re: CVS branching -> Git branching model

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:11 PM +0100 Hallvard Breien Furuseth
> <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:
>
>>     I think we should leave the current CVS-style branching model and
>> make better use of Git. 'master' is currently two things: The
>> development branch, and getting in the way it's an abandonware
>> repository: slapmodify, vc, etc. Maybe that's harsh, but if it is not
>> abandonware, why are the authors not finishing it so it can be released?
>> Some of it is years old.
>
> Abandonware?  What are you talking about?  Both of those, AFAIK, are 2.5
> features, which is why they haven't been released.

Aha, I hadn't caught that.  I remember slapmodify (or the companion LDIF
api?) is buggy and had the distinct impression that this is well known.
I may have been thinking of contrib:ucn rather than contrib:vc.
<grepping...> a note from hyc @ irc: "ITSs against it [usn] should be
discarded since we already know it's not meant to be used".  WTF...

Anyway, why can't slapmodify, <libldif replacement>, vc be finished and
go in RE24?  contrib/ stuff does not get in the way, but companion
libldap/slapd differences beween master and RE24 do.  They get in the
way of testing, cherry-picking etc.

> Some things have
> been in there for years because 2.4 has been the release branch for
> years (2007) and there has been very little 2.5 development that
> necessitates a 2.5 release.  Last I checked the roadmap for 2.5, it
> hadn't been updated in ages, and there has been very little development
> of the features listed on it in any case.

People have been mentioning a switch to RE25 now and then, but does this
mean Re25 is not happening soon anyway?  Even if it does though, I
suspect it'll be a while before RE25 reaches Stable level.  So these
RE24 vs master diffs will still be sitting there in the repo.

--
Hallvard