Re: openldap.git branch mdb updated. 5d600468011aaf773cf4cd7ed13a213d3e2e72ca

Howard Chu wrote:
At this point the libmdb library code is behaving pretty well, and the
back-mdb is code-complete. It is not yet passing all of make test, but it does
pass the majority of tests so far. As expected, it delivers higher throughput
than back-bdb/hdb under heavy load, with a smaller memory footprint, and
nothing to tune. So far so good.

Summary of changes:
   servers/slapd/back-mdb/bind.c        |   10 ++--------
   servers/slapd/back-mdb/compare.c     |   10 ++--------
   servers/slapd/back-mdb/id2entry.c    |    4 +++-
   servers/slapd/back-mdb/operational.c |   10 ++--------
   servers/slapd/back-mdb/referral.c    |   10 ++--------
   servers/slapd/back-mdb/search.c      |   10 ++--------

You'll note that for most of the commits the deletions far outweigh the insertions. I made the MDB API similar to the BDB API in most areas, so the effort of porting wasn't too great. Most of the effort was simply in deleting; fully 1/3rd of back-bdb/hdb's code was deleted to get back-mdb running. This is more of what I originally intended back-hdb to be from the beginning... Now if we just go forward with my idea to move all slapd global variables into a single structure, it would be trivial to persist all of slapd's runtime state into the mmap as well.*
Mebbe OpenLDAP 3.0 will get there - instant-on server...

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200410/msg00000.html