Re: ldap_bind_st() call

On 06/27/2011 11:58 AM, Howard Chu schrobtete:
> Thomas Egerer wrote:
>> On 06/24/2011 09:15 PM, Howard Chu schrobtete:
>>> You appear to be using a very old version of OpenLDAP then.
>> This is correct, I am currently using openldap 2.1.30, still...
>
> You're supposed to provide your version info at the *beginning* of the
> discussion. OpenLDAP 2.1 was obsoleted in 2004.
You're right, my bad. This mail refers to the current git-version of
openldap (052ac2f ITS#6828 silence warning in prev commit).

>>> The LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT setting will timeout any synchronous request, and
>>> has done so since early 2007 at least.
>> ... I cannot confirm this. Even when I use openldap 2.4.23 I can
>> reproduce my DoS-scenario by starting a 'nc -l localhost -p 389' and
>> performing an 'ldapsearch -l 5 -h localhost ...' which ends up in an
>> unresponsive ldapsearch.
>
> The "-l" option to ldapsearch sets the Search Request time limit, which
> is not the same as the API timeout that LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT controls.
As far as I can read from the default value which is controlled by the
LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT option is -1 which means an infinite waiting time.
Wouldn't it make sense then, to also uso the timeout value given by
the '-l' option to the LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT, or introduce a seperate option
if you do not want to mix the different timeout values? I don't see any
chance of telling ldapsearch to how to use a timeout value for the
LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT.

Regards

Thomas