Re: random topics

Hi Daniel,

I've come with the idea of server side current time matching more than 3 years ago when trying to solve a customer issue with access controls. I've actually discussed the idea with Kurt Zeilenga at one of the last IETF we've attended together. But I never got the time to get to implement it.

My requirement is also an authorization purpose, which is to be able to create time based access control rules not based on an absolute time, but a relative one, i.e. relative to the current server time.

I believe all of your requirements are matched with our implementation, if the matching rule is only used in access control rules defined in the server.

Adapting the computation of the current time based on some timezone attribute in the user entry seems way beyond the implementation of the matching rule itself.

However, I think there is a work around to it, which is not in the matching rule but with the attribute you use to determine if the entry is in the future or not.

Let's assume you are using the CreateTimestamp attribute as the attribute to measure if the entry is in the future or stale.
When matching this attribute against the current time, everything is based on GMT time.

Rather than computing the current time in the client time zone based on a timezone attribute of the client entry, what about computing the "create local time stamp" based on the GMT value, the client timezone and the server timezone ?
In OpenDS and Sun Directory Server, it is quite simple to create extension modules that generate Virtual attributes whose values are computed from other attributes. I'm sure the same can be done with a simple overlay in OpenLDAP.
As a result, you can still apply the same relative time matching rule, but on a timestamp computed to take into account some possible time differences between the client and the server.

What do you think ?

Regards,

Ludovic.