Re: Funding proposal for OpenLDAP Build Farm

<quote who="Quanah Gibson-Mount">
> --On Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:18 AM +0100 Gavin Henry
> <ghenry@suretecsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I've mentioned this in passing to Howard and he was going to have a wee
>> chat with the Samba guys at SambaXP about theirs:
>>
>> http://build.samba.org
>>
>> So I popped into #samba-technical and asked about setting the above up.
>> Few guys asked what for, and Jeremy Allison (http://samba.org/~jra/ and
>> Google, in case you didn't know ;-) ) asked me to ping him a serious
>> funding proposal:
>>
>> So, can we put a serious one together and get a build farm!
>
> What exactly do you have in mind when you say "build farm"?  A set of
> systems running different OSes to test builds (AIX, Solaris, HPUX, Linux
> 2.6, Windows, etc)?

Exactly:

"The samba.org build farm is designed to test the configuration, build,
install, and some runtime aspects of some projects hosted on samba.org in
real time."

See http://build.samba.org/about.html

and

http://build.samba.org/

Look at the drop down at above, the list of OSes is pretty impressive.

Once we have a core infrastructure of select OSs of our choosing, we can
get users to add their machines like so:

http://build.samba.org/instructions.html

The whole Samba build source, including the website front end is available
to us.

Companies that are interested in getting their hardware/OS supported will
more than likely sign up their machines too.

I imagine getting funding for a couple of boxs in a data center for 3
years, buying or renting 2-3 servers for build farm management
node/website etc.

Then we can all chip in to manage it, or work out the cost of 1-2 days a
month/week to look after it by one of the companies/users involved in
OpenLDAP to maintain it.

I'll speak to the Samba guys later and get a feel for the maintainance
aspect.

Gavin.