Re: LDIF parser performance

At 02:05 PM 11/23/2006, Howard Chu wrote:
>ldapmodify will accept multiple modifications without a separator in between them. E.g.:
>
>dn: dc=example,dc=com
>changetype: modify
>add: cn
>cn: foo
>sn: bar

While the above may adhere to the ABNF, it's nonsense.  The
changetype is modify, so we're representing a modifyRequest.
The modify request contains a single add operation of cn.  Hence,
any provided values must be of cn.  The second and third values
are not of cn.  That's an error.

While some parsers might be liberal in handling this error,
implicitly inserting additional add operations, that behavior
is something authors of LDIF files should not rely on.  There
certainly are parsers that, quite properly, error on such
LDIF input.

RFC 2849 could do with some clarification.  The intent was
to create a one-to-one mapping between LDIF change records
and LDAP update requests.

Kurt