Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd backend.c controls.c

At 02:24 PM 1/26/2005, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>

>>The best way I can think of handling this is just to have
>>backend_check_controls, if the control is not serviced by the
>>backend (and/or overlay), to check to see if the control is
>>serviced by the frontend.  This can be done by just checking
>>the list (bervals would be nice) or though use of some bit array.
>>
>Mmmmh, if a control is not listed there, we wouldn't even get to backend_check_controls() because likely there wouldn't be a parser for that control,

Yes, but...

>so the check would always succeed.

No, because we'd check the backend and the frontend to see if
one or the other was willing to service the control.  If neither
was willing, we'd return unwillingToPerform.  That is, when I
said "checking the list" above, I mean "checking to see if the
frontend services that control."

>At least, by adding a supported control to all databases, a global overlay commits to serving it.

A global overlay could simply register the control as being
serviced by the frontend.  Or, to put it another way, we
change rename SLAP_CTRL_FRONTEND to be SLAP_CTRL_GLOBAL
(frontend or global overlay).

Kurt