Re: redesigning the client API

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:27:49AM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> Of course, the devil is in the details.
>
> Comments?

One thing I never really liked is the way the RFC API handles memory. All the
different _free routines are a bit confusing to me. Samba4 has a generic memory
allocator library along the lines of http://swapped.cc/halloc/. You can hang
arbitrary memory to a "parent". When you free the parent, all children are
automatically freed. This greatly simplifies Samba4 memory management, I'd
*love* to see something like that incorporated, especially as an LDAP PDU can
be rather complex in terms of memory.

Volker