Re: LDAP tree on HDD

At 01:22 PM 6/14/2004, Palo Hazo wrote:
>   Can someone tell me how is OpenLDAP tree saved on HDD ???

Depends on the backend being used.  For instance, back-passwd
generates entries based upon getpwent(3) library calls which
may be backed by simple flat files, or backed by some
password management system.  However, I assume you are asking
the question in respect to back-bdb (or maybe back-hdb or
back-ldbm).

>(structure of file)  is it some like hashfile, index file, or some
>representation of tree (AVL tree) ???

The short answer (for back-bdb) is that entries are held a
BTREE bdb, the DN index is held in a BTREE bdb, and indices
for an attribute are held in a BTREE bdb.  All bdb of slapd
"database" are contained within one DB_ENV.

For more information about BDB BTREEs, see the Sleeycat
BDB documentation <http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/toc.html>.

Kurt