RE: back-config again

I see your point, but just because ACLs can be quite fluid doesn't make them
inherently different from the other configuration items. Replication
agreements can be relatively fluid too, particularly when you're first
experimenting with getting them set up. I personally like being able to
add/delete back-ldap instances on the fly, with each instance being a chunk
of a glued DIT. I.e., realtime control of knowledge references in a true
distributed directory. This is something we already do in Connexitor EMS, but
(I feel) is sorely lacking in OpenLDAP.

While we're thinking about ACLs, it would make sense to structure them
hierarchically instead of in a flat list. The current structure is a bit
silly if you have 40 different non-intersecting dn.subtree rules, because
they all still have to be checked even though maybe only one of them applies.
If ACLs were structured in a way that paralleled the actual hierarchy of the
DIT, a lot of extraneous checks could be eliminated.

Of course, if you're going to duplicate the DIT's hierarchical layout anyway,
you might as well just merge the ACLs into the DIT itself. Oh wait, that's an
ACI. Hm, what does *that* mean, I wonder....

Following any of these suggested changes to their logical *conclusion* means
making a lot of far-reaching, fundamental changes to the structure of the
server. For the moment, I'm content with only going one or two steps down
each path, and not pursuing them to their ultimate conclusion.