Re: HEADS UP: -llber/-lldap sonames changes

* Kurt D. Zeilenga (Kurt@OpenLDAP.org) wrote:
> At 05:16 AM 3/26/2004, Andreas wrote:
> >I never saw such a weird naming scheme before.
>
> There are a number of other packages using this scheme.
> It what libtool generates when you both release and
> version-info.   We want to have per "release" (in the
> libtool sense) interface version.  This is how you do

Just to clarify, per 'release' being 2.1, 2.2, etc.  This forces a
recompile when moving from 2.1.20 to 2.2.1 even if there was no ABI
change.  Of course, chances are pretty good there *was* an ABI change,
so this isn't too big a deal.

> that in libtool.  I actually came up with the idea
> after looking at the Debian library packaging guide
> and looking at how certain libraries (which have similar
> issues) under FreeBSD were being built.

As I mentioned in the bug report, and to make sure people understand
here, the 'Debian library packaging guide' is not without it's faults,
quite a few of them in fact.  I've spoken with the author in the past
and recently pointed out a number of issues with it which I plan to
forward on to the author.  It's slowly getting better.

	Stephen