RE: Questions...

With my recent changes in HEAD, slapindex time has improved quite a bit. I
have a 400MB database that takes ~52 minutes to slapadd, with 3 indices. It
used to take several hours (10 or more) to slapindex this database. It now
takes 1:06 hours, with IDL cache size explicitly set to 1 (effectively
disabled). With the IDL cache size at its new default (10000, given entry
cachesize of 1000) it takes only 11 minutes.

The use of the IDL cache should also have a significant improvement on
slapd's runtime indexing speed, not just slapindex.