Re: String conversions UTF8 <-> ISO-8859-1

Luke Howard writes:
>> So I'd really like OpenLDAP to provide charset conversion.  From
>> message <HBF.20030430vsve@bombur.uio.no>, the options then seem to
>> be callbacks or to provide another charset-aware library which
>> completely duplicates the LDAP API, but which does charset conversion.
>> That seems very cumbersome, so I prefer callbacks.
>
> Although hard to do in a portable fashion, a third party could write
> a wrapper API that exposes the same ABI as libldap, wrapping the
> real one and providing necessary conversion.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: That's what I meant with duplicating
the LDAP API.  A wrapper library which duplicates all the API calls.
As I said, I think that's cumbersome.

But if that's the way we decide to go, I think OpenLDAP should provide
the wrapper library, so it at least offers the option of proper charset
handling to anyone who wants it.  Provided the user has libiconv or
whatever charset handling library we settle on, of course.

--
Hallvard