Re: String conversions UTF8 <-> ISO-8859-1

Michael Ströder writes:
> And wouldn't it be necessary to have schema knowledge to determine
> whether the conversion is applicable at all? E.g. if syntax is
> OctetString the charset conversion might not be the right thing.

Yes.  In most cases I think it would be enough for the client to know
which syntaxes should _not_ be converted, though.  E.g. it wouldn't hurt
to convert OctetString, since OctetString can't contain non-ASCII
characters.  OTOH, if the client used EBCDIC it would need to know a bit
more...

I suggest ldap.conf could contain lines with

   attr-charset <charset> [<attribute-name> <attribute-name>...]
   client-charset <charset>

<charset> would normally be "unknown" alias "binary" or "UTF-8".  The
default attr-charset would be unknown, but an "attr-charset UTF-8" line
without any attributes would set the default attr-charset to UTF-8.

Then, all that remains is to implement this:-)

--
Hallvard