Re: Backends Performance

Kurt,

AS far as I know (thats not too far), you can write backend modules that
integrates your own code to OpenLDAP.
My goal is to write such a backend which will process the incoming
requests (authenticated and confidential) and return the result to the
requestor in the same manner . That is actually an authentication and
confidentiality layer on top of LDAP server. I beleive that this is
technically possible but I am uncertain if this approach is gonna suffer
from performance. That is;  do you think this approach will significantly
lower the response time to the user?
One can use OpenSSL to do this task but still there is certificate
handling overhead and the complexity of the protocol itself. Thats why
people use hardware accelarators to use SSL.

Regards
Koray

> At 06:43 AM 4/16/2003, Koray Atsan wrote:
>>Hi ll, I am illing to write an authentication & confidentiality backend
>> to OpenLDAP. hough I am not sure if it is worthwhile to do it. Lets ay
I somehow skipped the overhead of using certificates and certificate
chain erification, do you think that the backends performance compared
to TLS will be satisfactory ? Thx all Koray

> It's unclear to me what you mean by "authentication &
> confidentiality backend to OpenLDAP".  Please clarify.

Koray ATSAN
Researcher
TÜBİTAK - UEKAE