ASN.1 how its used? new schemata?

When where how does asn.1 come into play? As far as I can see, it is used in the schema file but never used to programatically reference schemata. What is its value? When to use the reference numbers?

If I make my own schemata, for use in a custom application, do I need a ASN.1 representation? how would I determine the asn.1?

Thanks
= Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the     =
=       right things.    - Peter Drucker                        =
=     http://www.sun.com/service/sunps/jdc/javacenter.pdf       =
=  www.sun.com | www.javasoft.com | http://wwws.sun.com/sunone  =