Re: ASN.1 how its used? new schemata?

At 08:59 AM 2/16/2003, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
>When where how does asn.1 come into play?

In OpenLDAP 2.1, ASN.1 is not used to programmatically encode/decode
values of data types.  Everything is hand coded.

>As far as I can see, it is used in the schema file but never used to programatically reference schemata.

Today, yes.

>What is its value?

slapd will need to become ASN.1-aware in order to implement
;binary, component matching, or DAP/TCP.

>When to use the reference numbers?

Object identifiers are used to refer to LDAP syntaxes internally.

The reminder of your post is off-topic here.  While I've included
(terse) answers, please direct any follow-up question (or other questions
of this nature) to a more suitable forum such as <ldap@umich.edu>.

>If I make my own schemata, for use in a custom application, do I need a ASN.1 representation?

(off topic alert)
Yes.

>how would I determine the asn.1?

(off topic alert)