Empty Strings in LDAP String Attributes

Hi,

Is it legal to have an empty string for IA5 String and Directory String
syntaxes? From my understanding of the LDAP RFCs, I believe it is
legal. A message from Kurt Zeilanga to the openldap-its list seems to
imply that my understanding is correct. See
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-bugs/200201/msg00010.html.

However, according to schema_init.c, UTF8StringValidate() as well as
IA5StringValidate() immediately return LDAP_INVALID_SYNTAX if the length of
the string is zero. Is this a bug in OpenLDAP or my understanding
incorrect. This question seems to come up quite often without a
clear response :-(.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan R