Re: Always static link in OpenLDAP 2.1?

>   -static           do not do any dynamic linking of libtool libraries
>   -all-static       do not do any dynamic linking at all

> We use -static, not -all-static.

Oops. You're right. My mistake. I didn't know libtool had a different
meaning for -static.

> * If you have libtool libraries installed, then those get
> statically linked in as well.  That's likely what you are
> seeing below with -lsasl.  That, IMO, is an unfortunate
> side-effect.

> We could remove this side-effect relatively easily by hack
> libtool a bit (or by other means).

I think this qualifies as a libtool bug; from the libtool manual

--
`-static'
     If OUTPUT-FILE is a program, then do not link it against any

And /usr/lib/libsasl.la has "installed=yes".

>> ldapdelete is explicitly passed libldap and liblber statically, so you don't
>> need -static.

> Incorrect.  Remove the -static, re-make, and then use ldd(1)
> to see the linking.

Again, you are correct. The libraries are linked dynamically.

--
Ganesan R