RE: gentlehup

This isn't a major issue, all of the listeners are opened long before any
threads are created. We can fork() after opening the listeners and have the
child process wait in a sigpause() until we want it to do something. It will
consume practically no resources in the meantime.

> One approach would be to use the surrogate parent (see
> back-shell) for establishment of the new server... figuring
> out how to pass the listener sockets is, however, likely
> an issue.

Seems like a lot of effort for an odd problem. The msg from Ron Kunkel
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200012/msg00029.html
implies that this elaborate workaround is unneeded.