Re: size/time limits

Andrew Findlay writes:

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 05:44:54PM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> I'm not sure what the correct behavior is, but it seems that it
> might be useful to know that not all entries were returned, even
> if that was due to a client-requested sizelimit. I know that we
> treat sizelimitExceeded, and timelimitExceeded as success in
> nss_ldap and pam_ldap.

Your opinion makes sense as well; however, I note that getting
{size|time}LimitExceeded any time a client-side limit is set
may be of little use and somewhat too "predictable".

Not at all - if you request a limit of ten entries and you get ten back, the sizelimitExceeded status is the only way to tell that there could be more if you asked for them. The client may well regard this as success, as Luke points out for nssldap.

I mean: do I have to interpret exceeding the client-side sizeLimit
the same as exceeding a server-side sizeLimit? I'm not changing the
behavior of slapd (not yet, at least :).

Pierangelo.

Dr. Pierangelo Masarati | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Dip. Ing. Aerospaziale | fax: +39 02 2399 8334
Politecnico di Milano | mailto:pierangelo.masarati@polimi.it
via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy | http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati