parent does not exist

Hello all,

I'm new to openLDAP (one week) and since I downloaded and installed the package on my NT machine I have been reading a lot of the documents on openldap site.  I'm running my second test that came with the package and have some question.  If anyone could help me with the answers or where to find comprehensive source of information (a book for people new to the subject) I would greately appreciate.

I'm working with openldap2.0.11.  I am trying to run one of the test under (\openldap-2.0.11\tests\data\ ) and get the following error on the client:

    adding new entry "cn=All Staff,ou=Groups,o=University of Michigan,c=US"
    ldap_add: No such object
    ldif_record() = 32

I am issuing the command:

   ldapmodify -a -x -v -D "cn=Manager, o=University of Michigan, c=US" -W -f d:\openLDAP\test.ldif

Chasing through the diagnostics it seems an attempt is made to add cn=All since it's the parent level of cn=Manager.  Then why am I getting

                parent does not exist

on the server side?

thanks in advance for any help