autoconf

OK, I'm following the (by now) well worn path of writing my own backend.
Following the advice given to someone else on this mailing list by
hyc@highland.sum (many thanks for your helpful advice), I downloaded the latest
version of autoconf, and then installed it in my home directory.
I set up an alias, pointing to this latest version (this was the NEWEST
available from ftp.gnu.org).

When I type autoconf --version and get "Autoconf version 2.13". Good.

BUT, when i try and regenerate configure, I get the following error message:
"FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.13.1 or higher is required for this script"
Can anyone help ??

Adam Wilkshire.