help on the source code

hi all
i am confused, can somebody explain me the back-ldbm search code?
Here is my specific query although any help would be appreciated. I was
trying to understand the
ldbm_back_search() code. This is in regard to the OpenLDAP 1.2.7 code. For
doing a one level or subtree search, it is modifying the filter and then
calls filter_candidates(), the list of candidates is retruned and down in
the code test_filter() is again called for testing the entry. I dont
understand why this is being done and then secondly why the filters are
getting modified in the one level and subtree level query.
thx. and regds
bharat