const char * params

I'm using libldap in a C++ program, and I'm running into issues with parameter passing.  (ie. I'm using C++ string classes, and they prefer to convert the string to a const char * instead of a char *)

Is there any reason to keep the params as char * instead of moving to const char *'s?  I've done a little testing, and changed the passwd param for the simple bind command to a const... everything seems to compile just fine.

I would enjoy helping change this, but I'm not sure where to start.

-Trevor