Re: Fw: [Q] attr.c bug?

At 12:06 PM 6/9/99 -0700, Alex Zeltser wrote:
>> From: Kurt D. Zeilenga <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
>> To: Alex Zeltser <alex_zeltser@securecomputing.com>
>[snip]
>> 1) ch_* routines will be rewritten to use ber_mem* routines
>> instead of system allocators.  This will resolve the multiple
>> heap issue under NT.
>>
>At the risk of showing my ignorance--what is the multiple heap issue under
>NT?

The _CrtIsValidHeapPointer function is used to ensure that a specific memory address is within the local heap. The "local" heap refers to the heap created and managed by a particular instance of the C run-time library. If a dynamically linked library (DLL) contains a static link to the run-time library, then it has its own instance of the run-time heap, and therefore its own heap, independent of the application's local heap.

>Isn't all of our code linked in statically using the same version of
>the CRT?

We're moving towards DLLs...

>Even with DLLs I'm not sure what th issue would be, since
>everything is mapped into the process' address space anyway.

See above...