Re: searching multiple backends

"Howard Chu" <hyc@highlandsun.com> writes:

> Your understanding of directories is flawed. This is like saying the DSA for
> c=US has to know everything, all in one database. It is analagous to saying
> that a single root DNS server has to have total knowledge of every
> registered domain. This is completely contrary to the distributed nature of
> large-scale information systems.

Do you really want me to answer to that?

OK.  I know zilch about directories.  I don't know what they are used
for nor how are they supposed to behave.

On the other hand, I know this, taken from RFC2251:

4.5.3. Continuation References in the Search Result

   If the server was able to locate the entry referred to by the
   baseObject but was unable to search all the entries in the scope at
   and under the baseObject, the server may return one or more
   SearchResultReference, each containing a reference to another set of
   servers for continuing the operation.  A server MUST NOT return any
   SearchResultReference if it has not located the baseObject and
   thus has not searched any entries; in this case it would return a
   SearchResultDone containing a referral resultCode.

Since your slapd server cannot locate the baseObject 'and thus has not
searched any entries', it MUST return a referral resultCode.  That's
what the -devel version of slapd MUST do.  If it does something else,
let us know.

If you, however, think it should behave differently, please tell us
so, but don't forget to quote chapter and verse.

> > But I get your point.  I don't know the answer.  I don't even know
> > what it does when a naming context expands several backends.  I
> > think it should traverse backends transparently.
>
> Exactly.

You are misreading me.  What I said is that namingContexts may span
several backends of the same server.

Julio

--
Julio Sanchez
 PGP Key fingerprint =  E5 29 93 6F 41 4E 00 E2  90 11 A1 8C 72 D0 DE 71