Re: [ldapext] password policy: exclude (or exempt) user from policy

On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

>>> That sounds backward to me.
>>
>> It's modeled after collective attribute exclusions.
>>
>>> You should just define a specific policy for those accounts, and turn off
>>> everything you don't want enforced in that policy.
>>
>> That can be pain depending on how one organizes their account objects.
>
> Why do you think that the pointer to a separate policy cannot be a collective
> attribute? Maybe I got you wrong though.

The pointer to policy comes from the policy's subtree specification.  X.500 subtree specification has its limit.  See Ludo's comments that  this was addressed in OpenDS via subtree specification extensions.

I also think the tracking argument is kind of bogus.  From our experience, administrators find it natural to go to the user's entry to see determine its configuration...  and to determine all such excluded entries, it's a simple search operation.

And we already have pwdAccountLockedTime which admins can use to lock an user from the user's entry.  It seems all the arguments against pwdExclude would apply to pwdAccountLockedTime and it's funky 000001010000Z value.

Now, if others don't find pwdExclude generally useful, fine.  We'll keep it as a vendor-specific extension.

-- Kurt