Re: [ldapext] password policy: delayed failures

Jim Willeke wrote:

-jim
Jim Willeke

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@highlandsun.com
<mailto:hyc@highlandsun.com>> wrote:

    Jim Willeke wrote:

        Just a comment on our experiences with LDAP server delays on failed
        bind attempts.

        We have encountered issues with applications when there is a delay between
        failed attempts.
        When there is an delay, the application is left waiting for a response
        from
        the server.

        This was the case with Novell's eDirectory for many years, there was a
        fixed
        delay, and due to this condition, Novell added a feature to make the delay
        adjustable.

        If the delay is 3 seconds and five people in a row fail there
        password, the
        application can only handle 5 people in 15 seconds, which is an
        eternity in
        our context.
        If the return code is returned immediately, then the application can
        end the
        LDAP session immediately and move on to the next operation.

    Also, features like this are obviously optional. If you have a directory
    server that is routinely being used by applications, then you probably
    want to isolate it from arbitrary clients, and not even deploy any
    lockout/delay features at all.

Unfortunatly, applications are nto created equally and usually the goal is to
use LDAP as the authentication source. As I see the recommendation,  this
would require pushing the Password (and Account Restriction) Policy
Enforcement Point to ALL the different applications which, IMHO, is not a good
thing and the implementation would woudl require that all applications be
capable of utilizing the same ability to perform the enforcement.

But that seems to ultimately be what you're asking for. "if the return code is returned immediately, then the application can end the LDAP session immediately" - so basically you want no restriction in the directory, and push the responsibility out to the application.

Or, you want a different policy for each application - which is feasible, if each application first authenticates as its own identity and then uses some "special" Bind to authenticate its client.

--
  -- Howard Chu