[ldapext] Requesting mailing list feedback for draft-dawkins-ldapext-subnot

Hi, LDAPEXT Mailing list,

Some of you may be aware of a 3GPP CT4 proposal to add a subscribe/notify capability to LDAP. CT4 would like to use LDAP as the directory building block for "User Data Convergence", but the service description for this service includes asynchronous notifications about changes - so CT4 is exploring extending LDAP to provide subscribe/notify to support this UDC requirement.

I've been helping Xun Peng with a draft describing this extension, and Alexey is trying to determine whether this draft is appropriate for him to AD-sponsor. He pointed me to the LDAP Directorate, and we've gotten some helpful comments from them on the version 00 version of the draft. Kurt suggested that I post a revised draft to this mailing list, requesting your feedback.

The revised draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-dawkins-ldapext-subnot-01.txt.

We don't think the draft is perfect, and we're interested in any suggestions you may have for things we've missed. This is NOT a "must be accepted with no changes" Internet-Draft :D

The critical questions are

- whether the draft is an appropriate proposal for Alexey to AD-sponsor, and

- whether the draft is "close enough" to complete to allow it to be approved in the 3GPP Release 9 timeframe.

I am subscribed to this mailing list and will see your responses.

3GPP Release 9 should be completing in December 2009 - it's possible that there might be an exception for this work, but that would only be until March 2010 at the latest.

A note on timing - 3GPP CT4 is meeting the same week as IETF 76, and will be making a decision during that meeting on whether to use the approach described in this draft (and processed in the IETF) or to use an XML/SOAP alternative (not processed in the IETF). It would be extremely helpful to have your feedback before November 13 (when both IETF 76 and the CT4 meeting end).

I will be present in Hiroshima, and I believe I'm on the agenda for a few minutes at the Applications Area Open Meeting on Monday morning. I'm also available for any face-to-face discussions that would be helpful - but please feel free to express opinions before then!

Thanks,

Spencer