Re: [ldapext] new version of LDIF

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
As side from not requiring escaping of UTF-8, I'd like to see LDIF be revised to not only provide a representation of LDAP Add and Modify requests, but all LDAP requests and all LDAP responses. For instance, I'd like for LDIF to be able to represent an LDAP Transaction (draft-zeilenga-ldap-txn), to fully cover LDAP search responses, etc..

Also, would be good to include better support for XML encode attribute values. Steven Legg has (had) a good proposal here.

The Internet-Draft has expired, but a copy of the latest revision is available here:

    http://www.xmled.info/drafts/draft-sciberras-xed-eldif-05.txt

The main features of the proposal are that it uses UTF-8 and has a
human-readable way of presenting attribute values with line endings,
which XML has in abundance.

Regards,
Steven

Given that there are many who have opinions as to what should be done, and how things should be done, this item screams for a working group. I think it would be good for someone (maybe Yves) to put together a mini-requirements statement: a list of enhancements with MUST, SHOULD, MAY suggestions for the work.

I note that I have some reservations concerning some of the suggestions (especially in regards to extending LDIF beyond "interchange" and, in particular "charset:"). But at this point, I think it's best to focus on collection of suggestions, not debate over the merits of each suggestion.

-- Kurt