Re: [ldapext] new version of LDIF

As side from not requiring escaping of UTF-8, I'd like to see LDIF be revised to not only provide a representation of LDAP Add and Modify requests, but all LDAP requests and all LDAP responses. For instance, I'd like for LDIF to be able to represent an LDAP Transaction (draft- zeilenga-ldap-txn), to fully cover LDAP search responses, etc..

Also, would be good to include better support for XML encode attribute values. Steven Legg has (had) a good proposal here.

Given that there are many who have opinions as to what should be done, and how things should be done, this item screams for a working group. I think it would be good for someone (maybe Yves) to put together a mini-requirements statement: a list of enhancements with MUST, SHOULD, MAY suggestions for the work.

I note that I have some reservations concerning some of the suggestions (especially in regards to extending LDIF beyond "interchange" and, in particular "charset:"). But at this point, I think it's best to focus on collection of suggestions, not debate over the merits of each suggestion.

-- Kurt