Re: [ldapext] new version of LDIF

Yves Dorfsman writes:
> From my experience with open-ldap and what I have read on the net about the
> other servers, all the LDAP servers will happily import LDIF files with
> "plain UTF-8", but they all follow the RFC when it comes to write LDIF, and
> base 64 encode anything that contains a characters other than SAFE-CHAR.
> Same thing for the python-ldap library.
>
> So really, there isn't a lot that needs to be changed, and it shouldn't
> disturb the existing products at all, it will just give them another option
> for writing.

In that case I think you're talking of an update to LDIFv1, to align
the RFC with current practice.  An update most implementations would
need to do nothing to support.  Is that what you are volunteering to
do?  If so, a free-for-all with change wishes would be a bit
pointless, unless someone else gets inspired to do LDIFv2.

Bumping the version number would require work on many implementations
and installations:  They'd begin to receive LDIFv2 files, and would
thus feel pressure to accept them.

Of course, which changes to include will still be debatable.  _Some_
implementatinos likely follow the RFC and reject 8-bit data.  Others
may follow the grammar except the UTF-8 part, and would choke on my
suggestion to loosen the grammar.  An optional feature ("charset:")
could likely go in if it doesn't conflict with an existing extension.

--
Hallvard