Re: [ldapext] new version of LDIF

On Dec 19, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Ludovic Poitou writes:
I personally would like to see full support for UTF-8 characters in
LDIF,

yes...

and possibly other encodings.

That should be optional, so LDAP implementations are not burdened with a
requrement to support charset encoding if they do not actually need it.

Yes, optional.
I think this is most useful for input to an LDAP directory server, especially when LDIF data is generated from other sources.
For interoperability, servers producing LDIF for interchange should keep producing ASCII or UTF-8 (with a preference for the later).

If a file or entry has 'charset: ...' this should not only affect
'attr: val', not 'attr:: val' and 'attr:< file'.  The two latter may
contain non-text data, e.g. a jpeg picture.

That may be subject to specification... but I tend to agree. My current use of a specific charset is for regular attr: val attributes, not for things that are base64 encoded.

Ludovic.

So an app which writes latin-1 may still need to convert to utf-8, in
case it needs to write a value which must be base64-encoded.  E.g. a
value which contains a newline.

A fix would be to have two base64 attribute syntaxes: one which is
charset-converted after base64-decoding, and one which is not.

A looser grammar would be useful too. Allow an LDIF file with no entries. Extra CRLFs at the end of the file.

I have various notes about wishes for LDIF spread around in my mailbox... Probably I should have undertaken to update LDIF format myself, but I never seem to get around it. I'll see what I can find.

--
Hallvard

Ludovic Poitou Sun Microsystems Inc. OpenDS Community Lead Directory Services http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/ Grenoble Engineering Center - France

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended