Re: [ldapext] nfsv4 vs the ldap consistency model

Leif Johansson wrote:
On Friday 21 November 2008 21:49:30 Howard Chu wrote:
Leif Johansson wrote:
So I had a talk with the nfsv4 wg today (and on their list earlier). The
are trying to build AFS-style volume location for NFS using LDAP and I
think they may have a problem with the LDAP consistency model: i.e
"eventually consistent" for a couple of their usecases.

I won't go into details unless people particularly care but I think we
may need an I-D (something for a bof in SF perhaps) describing a control
which asks for the result of an update operation to be  delayed until a
certain criterion (eg in the form of a compare condition) is fulfilled on
all "slaves". Implementation details would differ depending on the
precise way replication is done for that vendor.

Does that sound like something you would

a) barf at
b) laugh at
c) ignore
d) review given that someone wrote it up?
Sounds like what's really wanted is a distributed transaction. Why not just
call it that?

Not really - I don't think they need commit/rollback or the ability to modify multiple entries in a transaction.

Then my answer is (a) and (b).

You cannot guarantee that the update will succeed at all slaves, so abort/rollback is essential.

This is 2 phase commit, whether they think they want to handle multiple entries or not. In reality they are modifying multiple entries anyway, even if it's the "same" entry on each slave. This is a transaction, plain and simple.
--
-- Howard Chu
CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com