Re: [ldapext] nfsv4 vs the ldap consistency model

Leif Johansson wrote:
So I had a talk with the nfsv4 wg today (and on their list earlier). The are
trying to build AFS-style volume location for NFS using LDAP and I think they
may have a problem with the LDAP consistency model: i.e "eventually
consistent" for a couple of their usecases.

I won't go into details unless people particularly care but I think we may
need an I-D (something for a bof in SF perhaps) describing a control which
asks for the result of an update operation to be  delayed until a certain
criterion (eg in the form of a compare condition) is fulfilled on all
"slaves". Implementation details would differ depending on the precise
way replication is done for that vendor.

Does that sound like something you would

a) barf at
b) laugh at
c) ignore
d) review given that someone wrote it up?

Sounds like what's really wanted is a distributed transaction. Why not just call it that?

--
  -- Howard Chu