Re: [ldapext] Nested group

Andrew,

Andrew Findlay wrote:
It looks as if the nested groups issue needs tackling. Should I expand
this I-D to include it?

I think that would be a good idea.

> The consensus seems to be:

1) groupOfEntries member attributes should not point to groups whose members are to be considered part of the group being described. I see no problem with allowing them to point to groups if expansion/nesting/inclusion is not required.

It is okay to restrict the interpretation of the member attribute as an attribute of the groupOfEntries object class, but if we consider a group as being any entry of an object class that permits a member attribute (and/or the nestedGroup attribute), then restricting the interpretation of the member attribute in the more general context will conflict with some current deployments. If we are going to allow a variety of object classes to define groups, then we should define a new attribute, e.g., called directMember, to replace the member attribute.

Regards,
Steven