Re: [ldapext] groupOfEntries object class proposal

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 09:03:25AM +1000, Luke Howard wrote:

> Another thing that would be useful might be to define the behaviour of
> nested groups, eg. should the client expand them?

A good point, but I would be wary of being too prescriptive here. Some
servers provide an auxiliary object class that causes the groups to
expanded server-side: that would continue to work with groupOfEntries
(though there is a management issue with anything that triggers
server-side tricks). Whether a *client* should expand groups will
depend on why the client wants the group info in the first place, and I
don't think it is necessary to force the issue one way or the other.

It might be worth adding a statement that makes it clear that
a groupOfEntries can have members of *any* type, so nested groups are
explicitly possible. The precise semantics should be defined by the
application schema designer.

> It would make sense to use this object class for rfc2307bis too
> (whenever that is completed :-))

Maybe so, but rfc2307bis is a much more complex issue!

Andrew