Re: [ldapext] Nested group (was: groupOfEntries object class proposal)

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 03:32:34PM -0400, simo wrote:

> Sorry but I see a fault here as well.
> Once you add, as a member, a user controlled by a foreign entity your
> security is already screwed if you don't trust that entity.
> If you trust it then you trust they will not try to use their power to
> exploit your system.

True, but the separation of attributes can limit how much of my
resource a malicious admin can give away.

Howard's suggestion of a limit on the 'expand groups' control leads to
another idea: split the nestedGroup attribute into two again:

	nestedGroupOfEntries
		The group entry that we point to can only contain
		leaf-nodes

	nestedRecursiveGroup
		The group entry that we point to may contain further
		nested groups as well as leaf-nodes.

That would give a structural way to limit the nesting of groups.
The expansion algorithm is now slightly larger, but not exactly
complex.

> That said, this example makes much more sense.

Thanks. The discussion is certainly helping me to clarify some ideas.

Andrew