RE: [ldapext] Grace logins and password policy

Thanks for your reply, Ludovic. I have some more comments.

I'm happy that it is possible to set up self service systems (with
administrative privileges) to handle resetting passwords after grace
logins have been exceeded.

I agree that option 2 defeats the purpose of a grace login mechanism.

I'm not sure that applications implementing the password policy control
can authenticate and nothing more. If a password is reset then it would
never need changing as 'changeAfterReset' would be ignored.

The main point I was making is that some vendors, implementing their own
password policy mechanisms, allow a login with an expired password,
forcing a change before proceeding. But you are correct in that these
environments don't support grace logins. Applications built using the
Netscape (expired) control & Microsoft domain logins are examples.

Perhaps, in the absence of 'pwdGraceLoginLimit' (or if it has a value of
zero), the directory could respond exactly as it does for a reset
password? That is, could we make grace logins optional?

Ron