RE: [ldapext] password policy response control question

> Hi John,
>
> The question of whether to send a response ("when appropriate") has come
> up before and has not been resolved. I'd like to put a stake in the
> ground and say that a response should always be sent if the control is
> understood (that is, if the server supports the control).

Ron,

the fact that the control is understood is guaranteed by the fact that the
DSA didn't reject the request with unavailableCriticalExtension; it would
be acceptable for the control response to be absent if not needed.  This
is true, of course for critical controls.  I'd favor this case.

> Further, I'd like to suggest that, in the case where there is no data to
> be sent, the value be absent.

this should be the behavior when the control is not critical.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution
OpenLDAP Core Team