From: ldapext-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:ldapext-bounces@ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Howard Chu
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 4:10 PM
To: Ldapext
Subject: Re: [ldapext] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-sermersheim-ldap-csn-02.txt

A couple of concerns were raised about using fractional seconds in the
timestamp portion of the CSN. Mainly, that they do not always increase
monotonically; some systems will decrement while adjusting the clock
(e.g. using NTP?). The draft-ietf-ldup-model document specifically
excluded fractional seconds; I think we need to continue with that
restriction here.

Also wrt timestamps, expressing an implementation preference: I would
like to see the timestamps restricted to UTC. As I see it, use of local
time is really an issue of user-friendliness. As such, it's a matter for

clients and user interfaces to deal with, not servers. And storing local

time in the server is no friendlier if the client is querying from a
remote timezone. I.e., the client must always be prepared to translate
the server's timestamp into its localtime regardless, so storing
localtime in the server doesn't save anything. It actually makes it
harder for clients that are searching for CSNs greater than a specific
time. Even if the server is "consistent" in its use of localtime - e.g.,

we just changed off of Daylight Savings Time, so there's an hour's worth

of timestamps that overlap each other except for their offset. In this
case, it's more developer-friendly to use UTC consistently.

--
   -- Howard Chu

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/