Re: [ldapext] Password Policy draft 9

Howard Chu wrote:

After adopting the schema changes in draft 9 we ran into a new issue; the pwdAccountLockedTime operational attribute is now marked NO-USER-MODIFICATION. Should this attribute be automatically removed when a password change is successfully performed?

Yes, i believe that this is desireable (and that's what we've implemented).
However, there should also be a way to unlock an account without requiring a change in the password. A user should not be "punished" and have his pasword changed everytime the server is subject to an attempt of a dictionary attack.

(I.e., give it the same treatment as pwdFailureTime and pwdGraceUseTime which are removed upon successful password change.) Otherwise it's not clear that a password administrator can re-enable an account using the currently defined protocol operations, and requiring a manipulation outside the protocol seems wrong.

I have the same concern with pwdPolicySubentry, which seems to me to require manual setting. (For all the other non-modifiable attributes, they have clearly defined automated behaviors, so there's no issue there.)

In our implementation the pwdPolicySubentry can be set via our implementation of collective attribute, or manually...
But I would expect some servers to have the attribute fully handled by the server.

Ludovic.

--
Ludovic Poitou                                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
Software Architect                               Directory Server Group

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended