Re: [ldapext] Password Policy operational attributes

I prefer to use ACI over NO-USER-MODIFICATION when there is any need for a DUA to update values (whether the DSA also updates the same values on its own).

I also prefer that when these attributes are updates, that the modification tracking attributes (modifyTimeStamp, modifyCSN, version, whatever) are updated, but I'm not sure it needs to be stated in the draft — which attributes, and under what conditions are updated is probably implementation-specific. Likely we could remind server implementors to do whatever is needed to cause replication to properly happen.

Jim

Ludovic Poitou wrote:
> Draft 9 has not been published yet. Still working on it.
>
> Adding the NO-USER-MODIFICATION keyword to the state information would
> prevent administrators to update the attributes for unlocking a user for
> example, and would probably require the introduction of a set of
> administration procedures for password policy management, such as
> unlocking a locked account ...
> The security considerations mention that ACI should be used to restrict
> access to the state attributes. I think that the security considerations
> need a little bit of work for clarification of the security issues and
> the recommandations.

OK, I guess I can understand that. But I don't think it's surprising to
require a special administration procedure to directly manipulate these
attributes. After all, in their normal operation, they are set
completely automatically by directory-internal operations, so direct
manipulation of their values could be viewed as an unusual/extraordinary
occurrence.

There was also a question about whether a DSA should update an entry's
modifiersName / modifyTimeStamp operational attributes whenever
performing a Password Policy State Update. My opinion is no, since these
are internal operations, but there's no explicit statement in the draft.
The decision has some impact on replication, as some replication
mechanisms might only propagate a change when they see a timestamp change.

--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun