Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt

I am not 100% sure what the right thing to do is, but it seems like it should be OK to return LDAP URLs with new extensions to any client. I would definitely recommend that URLs that contain the new <scope> be only returned to clients that ask for them.

-Mark

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
Maybe the correct thing to do is to add a mechanism which allows clients
to solicit the new <scope> part, but allow the <extension> part to be
returned unsolicited.

Jim

"Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@novell.com> 8/17/04 11:49:00 AM >>>

So you two are both saying that I need to add a solicitation mechanism (like a control) so that clients can ask for URIs containing the new scope? I'd rather not... If a referral is to be returned, the only URIs available are LDAP URLs that contain the subord scope, the client did not solicit URIs containing that scope, then the server is stuck * it can't return a referral.

Furthermore, today's server implementations likely don't check stored
LDAP URLs (in 'ref' attributes), for critical extensions and exclude
them when not solicited * thus it seems some precedent exists where
unsolicited LDAP URLs may be sent to clients that cannot be handled.

Let me know if you disagree, or if I'm misunderstanding the wording
below.