Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
It's a valid concern.

I assume different client SDKs will need to be updated to varying
degrees to support a new search scope. Some may just allow an int to
pass through, while others will require a new enumerated type (and thus
require that the SDK be revised). Something similar may have happened
(though likely to a much less degree) when the '+' all operational
attributes selection string was introduced.

I suspect many SDKs will need to be updated to support the new search scope. For example, the Netscape/Mozilla SDKs validate the scope parameter and therefore won't pass a new value through.

I personally feel that allowing there to be a ripple effect on client
SDKs is actually healthy. Client SDKs should be flexible enough to adapt
to future extensions regardless of the form of extension. Meaning, I
would prefer a world where the protocol may be extended without having
to worry about the impact to current client SDK implementations.

I agree, within reasonable limitations. A bigger question is: do we need a new protocol feature to be available to people who are using existing/older SDK implementations? To me, this is more of a "how quick will people adopt the feature and be able to use it" concern than a "we are going to break something" concern. But I may be overlooking something.

--
Mark Smith
LDAP Book Information: http://www.ldapbook.com/