Re: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt

It's a valid concern.

I assume different client SDKs will need to be updated to varying
degrees to support a new search scope. Some may just allow an int to
pass through, while others will require a new enumerated type (and thus
require that the SDK be revised). Something similar may have happened
(though likely to a much less degree) when the '+' all operational
attributes selection string was introduced.

I personally feel that allowing there to be a ripple effect on client
SDKs is actually healthy. Client SDKs should be flexible enough to adapt
to future extensions regardless of the form of extension. Meaning, I
would prefer a world where the protocol may be extended without having
to worry about the impact to current client SDK implementations.

But if it turns out that there is significant concern about this, I can
revise to extending by control rather than extending the search scope.
Another alternative is to define the control in addition to the new
scope.

Jim

>>> John McMeeking <jmcmeek@us.ibm.com> 8/13/04 12:15:20 PM >>>

Before I go on vacation and forget this completely...

I have a practical concern with defining a new search scope, as opposed
to,
say, a "subordinate subtree scope" control:  Do existing clients
validate
the search scope?  Or provide a search interface designed in such a
way
that supporting a new scope would require a new programming interface
or
similar changes?  For example, System.out.println shows the JNDI
SearchControls.xxx_SCOPE constants happen to map to the LDAP search
scope
enumeration, but they could just as easily been different values.

>From a server/protocol perspective, I think it is cleaner to define a
new
scope.  But if making use of this feature requires LDAP client changes
(possibly from a different vendor than the server), it might be more
practical to provide this feature as a control.

John  McMeeking

ldapext-bounces@ietf.org wrote on 08/12/2004 12:31:12 PM:

> All,
>
> I found a need for this as I was fleshing out work on the
distributed

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce